A Brief History
From Cows to Condos
Holy Sacrament was founded as a mission in March 1956 and grew to an organized parish in 1979. The congregation first worshiped in the Mahan Building at 63rd Avenue and Filmore Street in Hollywood, Florida, and did so for about two years. In 1959, a 10-acre property in West Hollywood, the present site of the church, was purchased. Services were held in a tent until the Church, Parish Hall and two Church School buildings were constructed on the property in the early 1960s. A day school, called The Holy Sacrament Episcopal Church Academy, with a preschool and kindergarten, was opened in 1979. Five years later (1984), first grade was added and a grade each year for the next four years.
As the church grew so did its vision. Plans began to build a new sanctuary and to landscape the property. The present Church building was dedicated in May 1985, and the older church building became the Parish Hall. During 1985-1988, the Jake Dowerman Pavilion and the Thrift Shop were built, while the Church Offices, Hetrick Hall (Parish Hall), and the Rectory, with a pool, were all renovated.
Further construction took place in the late 1990s with the building of a new church office building, parking lot, memorial garden, and additional classrooms for the Academy and Sunday School use. The Academy would eventually close in 2007, and the facility is being rented by The Charter Schools of Excellence. The landscaping of the campus was also enhanced during the mid to late 1980s.
In 1986, Holy Sacrament embarked on its first overseas mission to Haiti, and subsequently Friends Reaching Friends, the Church’s mission organization, was formed and international missions continue to be held yearly. Throughout the years, besides Haiti, the Church has engaged in missionary work in Panama, Honduras, Jamaica, Dominican Republic, Belize, and more locally in the Florida Keys.
The cows, which once surrounded the Church campus on its north, west and south sides in the early days and were synonymous with the Church, has now been replaced, within the past few years, by the condos of the Monterra community.